It is the energy, enthusiasm and generosity of our volunteers that make our Club the gem it is. Many, many thanks to all who contribute each season. The fun we have on and off the courts would not be possible without you! We hope you all, as part of your hard work, have a good time and enjoy some laughs and build some friendships and good memories along the way.
We are always looking for volunteers… here are some ideas and the person to contact should you be able to donate a few hours.
Many thanks to all those who pitch in to make our Club, clubhouse and courts into such a wonderful spot to play our favourite sport and enjoy each others company. Special mention for 2018:
- Early Birds: Gwen Sutherland and Carole Ambrose your Early Bird followers are very grateful!
- Our Men’s and Women’s Round Robins: Thanks to Mark Rintoul on the courts with the assistance of our Head Pro, Taylor Hawthorne and to Barbara Taylor for organising the refreshments.
- Wednesday After Dinner Doubles: Henry Joseph once again took charge of leading this programme and helped facilitate some great drop in play on Wednesday evenings. Huge thanks Henry for all you did to set up fun matches on the courts!
- House League: A special thank you to the Captains – Irwin Davis, Gail Axmith, Irina Klenkin and Nicole Smith, Michelle Collins-Abrams and Alan Abrams, Richard Tremblay, Harvey Gold – for all the hard work that they put in through the whole summer, making sure team members get to play, avoiding a dreaded default and putting together compatible line ups. A special thank you to our scribe, Harvey Gold, for keeping tabs on all the scores and to Mark Rintoul for keeping it all running smoothly.
- Our InterClub Team Captains: Our team members enjoyed many a fun match because of the organisation and effort put in by our team captains. Thank you to Linda Ondrak and Dennis Ing, Anita Strauss and Adrian Baldeo, Deborah Hoffnung and Nancy Eisenhauer, John Mowat.
- ShrimpFest Extravaganza: Once again our South African members pulled off an amazing meal and party. Thank you to the very brave Wulffharts (Benjie and Marion), delicious!
- Beer and Pizza Party: Our super fun team ladies rocked it! Huge thanks to Deborah Hoffnung, Nancy Thompson, Nancy Eisenhauer and Fiona Miller for launching our inaugural licensed event! So fun.
- Year end Party: Thanks to everyone who helped make this a success. Anita Strauss, Anna Caton, Lisa and Rocky McLean, Myra Mandel, Wendy Moore and Sandra Douglas and the gang who helped clean up were particularly helpful. Also thanks to all the people who resurrected their 60’s outfits and became part of the decorations.
- Court Close Down: To the five hearty volunteers who came out to help Mark Girdler prep the courts for the winter – huge thanks!
- Our Photographer: A big huge special thanks to Frank Nagy for the spectacular photos taken throughout the season. He magically made us all look good!
And in 2017:
- Whipping the Clubhouse into shape for the start of the season: It looks great because of the behind-the-scenes efforts managed by Anna Caton, with help from Anita Strauss, Dennis Ing, Janet Blair, Cecelia Thng, Margot Willoughby, and most especially, Tony Ercolani.
- Preparing the courts / lines / nets / leaves / eaves for the season: Huge thanks to Gary Figueira, Neil Jacoby, Saul Organ, Cathy Gordon, James Winslow, Gerhard Weiss, Emmanuel Gutierrez, David Scopick, Matthieas Kipping, Murray Brooksbank, Jacques Konig, Joe Kopu, Cecelia Thng, Bob Milnes, Michael Boxer, Sayuri Yonekawa, Dennis Ing, Andreea Dragulescu, Randy Heyd, Fiona Miller, Mark Rintoul, all overseen and ably orchestrated by Mark Girdler.
- Orchestrating Early Birds: Gwen Sutherland, your Early Bird followers are very grateful!
- Putting on the parties: our host Anita Strauss brings Club members together with wonderful events with the help of many members…
- Tennis Day in Canada / Opening Celebration: Anita was ably assisted by Adele Breslow, Ellen Peers, Caroline Gray, Anna Caton, Pam Portanier, Margot Willoughby, Mary LeDonne and Cecelia Thng. Our Head Pro, Taylor, was on hand too – hopefully you got a chance to meet him and enjoy the tennis games he put together!
- Middle Eastern Brunch and Round Robin: Thank you to a great team, Ellen Peers, Adele Breslow, Sonia Canetti, Cecilia Thng, Mary Le Donne, Anna Caton and Jody Lahman who so ably helped in the kitchen, in all manner of tasks. Also thanks to Myra Mandel and Molly Greenwood who managed the “front office”. Thanks to Adrian Baldeo and Saul Organ for helping with tidying up at the end, and finally to Taylor Hawthorne, our hugely competent and so likeable pro, who so ably ran the round robin.
- Strawberry Social: Thank you to those who contributed some very tasty treats, including Caroline Gray’s absolutely amazing shortbread with fresh berries and cream, Gail Axmith’s yummy lemon squares and Margot Willoughby’s mother’s insanely delicious muffins, and the delicious raspberry and apple pies brought by Helene Blackburn and Margot Willoughby. And once again, thank you to Ellen Peers and Cecilia Thng for helping with set up, food prep and clean up. Finally, thank you to Taylor for once again runninng a great Round Robin.
- Trivia Night Social: We had a delicious meal, home cooked by Anita and the very brave Wulffharts (thank you Benjie and Marion) with a lot of help from our Social “A team” (George Canetti, Sonia Canetti, Anna Caton, Mary LeDonne, Eleanor Ziv, Adele Breslow, Ellen Peers, Cecilia Thng, Molly Greenwood, Carole Ambrose, Fiona Miller, David Douglas, James Carman and Gisele DeJong). Food was followed by a fabulous (yes, slightly competitive) Trivia Quiz (pulled together by Anita, Myra Mandel, Margot Willoughby and Wayne Snell). As always, huge thanks to Tony Ercolani for all his work in getting the Clubhouse setup before and ship shape afterwards.
- End of Season Celebration: The party could not have been such a rip-roaring success without the planning skills of Anita Strauss, Deborah Hoffnung, Dennis and Franny Gurwitz, Cecelia Thng and Nancys Eisenhauser and Thompson. A terrific group of members pitched in to help the planning committee set up the event (Anna Caton, Wayne Snell, Adrian Baldeo, George and Sonya Canetti, Ellen Peers – apologies if we’ve missed anyone) and to register members (Molly Greenwood, Caroline Gray), sell drink tickets (Adrian Baldeo) and tidy up (OK, the evening was a blur by then but we know there were lots of you – THANK YOU!).
- Steering our Round Robins: Thanks to Cecelia Thng on the courts with the assistance of our Head Pro, Taylor Hawthorne and to Anita Strauss for organising the refreshments.
- Overseeing Early Birds: We thank those who managed the cards (more or less) and kept everything moving smoothly: Gwen Sutherland, assisted by Marion Wulffhart, Carole Ambrose, Zilla Soriano, Henry Joseph and Sandi Seligman. And a special thanks to all the Early Birds who helped sweep courts after their play time – the courts looked so great this year.
- Coordinating our Wednesday After Dinner Doubles: Henry Joseph stepped into the role of ADD coordinator this year and helped facilitate some great drop in play on Wednesday evenings. Huge thanks Henry for all you did to set up fun matches on the courts!
- Organising House League: A special thank you to the Captains – Irwin Davis, Gail Axmith, Sayuri Yonekawa, Raza Ali, Caroline Gray, Harvey Gold – for all the hard work that they put in through the whole summer, making sure team members get to play, avoiding a dreaded default and putting together compatible line ups. A special thank you to our scribe, Harvey Gold, for keeping tabs on all the scores and to Cecelia Thng for keeping it all running smoothly.
- Launching our online court booking system: This took a relay team to get done – starting with great advice from member, Andre Velloso, researched by David Douglas, Deb Hoffnung, Tony Ercolani and Margot Willoughby, tested by Molly Greenwood, Aurelia Zvan and Shelley Alton and set up by Karen Brown, with help from Dennis Ing.
- Capturing the moments: A big huge special thanks to Frank Nagy for the spectacular photos taken throughout the season. He magically made us all look good!
We are sure we have missed some names of members who work tirelessly behind the scenes… apologies for any omissions and thank you to everyone!