LPTC has a long history in competitive community tennis. Historically, we have fielded six adult league teams: InterCounty A, InterCounty C, and three daytime Ladies’ Teams in the Toronto Ladies’ Tennis League and North York Tennis Association. In 2018 we are opening try-outs to gauge interest in a new +55 mixed team. There are two Junior teams, U12 and U18 in the Tennis Toronto Junior Doubles League. All these teams play competitive doubles against other clubs around Toronto. Matches alternate between Lawrence Park Tennis Club and other clubs.
To join the adult teams, members try out during the designated tryout sessions in April and May (sign up will be sent to members in our Between the Lines newsletter in the spring), and must be available to play most dates of the league matches. Try-outs are held indoors so that weather is not a factor and a small fee is charged to cover court costs. Team matches and practices are shown on our Club calendar once the schedule for the summer has been set, and in the court 3 reservations (available at the Clubhouse) to prevent double booking.
Members who have general questions should email the Games Director at Games@LawrenceParkTennisClub.ca
Please note that teams will only go forward if there is sufficient interest. It is our goal this year to test whether we are offering the right mix of teams to suit our members preferences, hence the expanded offering of try-out options. After try-outs we will determine which of our teams are able to field a full roster. For any teams that are no longer sustainable due to insufficient numbers of interested players, the LPTC Board will review the viability of that team for the season.
InterCounty A and C Teams
Our two InterCounty Teams each consist of members who compete in men’s doubles, ladies’ doubles and mixed doubles from mid-May to mid-August. The A team is geared for players at the 4.5 level and above; and the C team at 3.5 and above.
Home and away matches start at 7pm on Thursday evenings for both teams. All members are welcome to try out in late April/early May and must try out to be eligible for the team. Members may only play for one of these teams. Practice time for both these teams is Sunday afternoon (for 1.5 hours, alternating the starting time from either 4pm or 5:30pm).
- A Team Captain: TBD after tryouts
- C Team Captain: TBD after tryouts
Toronto Ladies’ Tennis League (TLTL) Teams – B2 and C3 Level
These team members are B/C level players who play competitive doubles over a seven week period starting early May through the end of June. Matches are played Wednesday mornings starting at 10:00 am. All women members are welcome to participate in the try-outs which are held in mid to late April. Sign up dates, times and location will be announced in our spring Between the Lines newsletter. Practice times are on a weekday afternoon and alternate with the Ladies’ A team. In past years, one of our LPTC Pros has attended practices to provide the teams with advice on effective doubles’ strategy. A small fee is charged to participants at each practice to cover these coaching costs.
- C1 Co-captains: TBD after tryouts
- C3 Captain: TBD after tryouts
North York Tennis Association (NYTA) Ladies League Team – A Level
The NYTA ladies’ team season runs from mid-May to late July. Matches are held Monday mornings at 9:30 am, alternating between home and away matches. Ladies who play at the A level are welcome to attend try-outs which will be held in mid to late April – Sign up dates, times and location to be announced in our spring newsletter. Practice times are on a weekday afternoon and alternate with the Ladies’ B and C teams.
- Captains: TBD after tryouts
New this year Intercounty +55 Mixed – Level TBD
Due to interest expressed by our members, we are making available for try-outs an expanded offering that includes a new day time mixed team (or teams) in the Inter-County 55+ division.
- Captain(s): TBD after tryouts
Interested members: please email Games@LawrenceParkTennisClub.ca for more details and to register for any try-out.
Our Club has participated for a number of years in the Tennis Toronto Junior Doubles League. This is a mixed league for both boys and girls (Under 12’s and Under 18’s) who wish to play competitively against other clubs around Toronto. Matches are all on Saturday afternoons.
Consideration is being given to adding another team option for our Junior members; stay tuned!
Interest is assessed at the beginning of the season so players should let our Junior Program Director (JuniorPrograms@LawrenceParkTennisClub.ca) know they are interested!
Congratulations to our Junior Team players, the ‘Lawrence Park Lightening’ who won regionally and played in the FINALS in Nathan Phillip Square on July 20th, 2016. Click here for pictures!
2018 Try-outs: times/place NEW this year
- All team try-outs are taking place at The Supreme Court (previously the Fitness Institute) located at 2235 Sheppard Avenue East. To assist in locating the club within the underground parking, we recommend that every player unfamiliar with the facility watch the ‘find the courts’ video‘ before setting out for the courts (www.tsc-indoor.ca/find).
- Carpooling is recommended!
- Once at the club’s entrance door in the underground parking, there is a double door entrance/exit system to access the courts (as they are in a bubble). Each door can only be opened if both doors are closed. There is an ‘access code’ required for entry. As the code changes periodically, this code will be sent out to all members who RSVP to attend a try-out. Without the code, you will need to knock on the door to be let in.
- Ladies Day Teams (4 courts): A1, C1 or C3 on Wednesday, April 11th 2:00-4:00pm OR Thursday, April 19th 12:00-2:00pm
- Mixed Inter-County A (3 courts) on Saturday, April 14th 4:00-6:00pm OR Sunday, April 22nd 4:00-6:00pm– Mixed Inter-County C (3 courts): on Sunday, April 15th 4:00-6:00pm OR Saturday, April 21st 4:00-6:00pm.
- Inter-County 55+ Mixed (3 courts): on Thursday, April 12th 10:00am-12:00pm OR Thursday, April 19th 10:00am-12:00pm
- We will have a tennis professional facilitating the try-outs to assist in evaluating and ranking players. Ranking will be based on our team selection criteria (http://lawrenceparktennisclub.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/2016-Team-Tryouts-Assessment-Criteria.pdf). With new players trying out each year, we cannot guarantee you will make the team of your choice.
- You need to attend at least one try-out. There will be a $15 fee for each 2 hour try-out, to be paid to the pro.
- There is a parking charge if you choose to use the underground parking at The Supreme Court facility. We suggest carpooling or, if available to you, attending with a current member of The Supreme Court in possession of a parking pass.
Team Tryouts Assessment Criteria
We strive to run a thoughtful and inclusive team try-out process each spring and encourage members to give competitive interclub play a try if they are interested. Where there are more candidates than available spots on our teams, coaches use the following criteria to assess players’ abilities: Team Try-outs Assessment Criteria.